Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: NetBSD User's Discussion List <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2001 11:33:19
Greg A. Woods said:

>Another place to check is www.compgeeks.com -- I've bought online from
>them in the past with no trouble and they often have good deals on used
>SCSI stuff.  They have a bunch of "brand new refurb" (whatever that
>means) 9gb SCSI with 50-pin HD connector at $40[usa] right now.  They
>also have used 9gb seagate Elite-9's at $27[usa], and various smaller
>drives too.

I forgot about compgeeks. (all my i386 boxes are in compgeek towers)
I think I'll buy a few of those drives.

>I don't have proof that Adaptec's PCI-based LVD controller works with
>NetBSD, but I do know their 7899 chip integrated on various Asus and
>Intel motherboards works just fine.  There was a bit of discussion about
>this on some other list (current-users?) just the other day and I've a
>client with three new Intel STL2-based machines running with Seagate
>Cheetah LVD drives.

I'm still entrenched in the world of Pentium 1/slot 7 technology. :-)

I have 3 brand new Pentium MMX motherboards and a 233 MMX and two 166 MMX
processors to stick in them.

I have a number of sparc 4m boxes, and I do know that memoryx.com sells
1, 2, and 4 gig SCA drives at a reasonable price. I also have a large
pile of Sun 3/50 and 3/60 boxes as well as a 3/110. I could use some
low tech 2 or 4 meg drives for them. At least I have a bunch of Sun3
to 50 pin centronics and 50 pin SCSI2 cables.

>It would seem that at least recognition of the 7899 has been in the
>driver since 15-Mar-00, and that was well before 1.5 was branched.

It's kind of funny. I've completely missed out on Pentium Pro, II, and
III. And it appears that the Pentium 4 is a dud, from what I've read.
Maybe I'll take a look at Athlon boards.

>I sure wouldn't do that -- I think drives are about due for another
>price drop soon and I'll bet you'll find even more end-of-line units on
>www.onsale.com in the future, not to mention many many more used units
>as people upgrade to newer faster drives.

You're right. It's just a matter of timing to get them when they are
available.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com