Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2001 10:42:22
Thomas Michael Wanka said:

>actually I use 2940UW controllers on x86 and builtin SCSI on other
>platforms.

Three of my i386 boxes have Adaptec 2940 controllers, and one of them
has a Diamond Fireport 40 NCR based controller. I also have a new 2940
and a new Symbios controller still in the box.

>Until now I have had no problems using LVD drives with these
>controllers, as long as I keep to the used standards (so if you run
>an LVD drive an a UW controller, cable length and such must be
>conform to the UW standard not LVD).

I didn't realize that you could use LVD drives with regular SCSI
controllers.

>There are 4.5 and 9GB drives around, they cost only marginally less
>than 18GB drives so there is no real market (here in Austia 9 GB
>cost about USD 250,-- when 18GB are USD 290,-- for IBM drives).

In the US, you can't seem to find new 4 or 9 gig drives anymore.

>As for qlogic controllers you should contact qlogic at their
>homepage for resellers. You might also try
>"http://www.mountaintopcomputers.com/scsi_controllers.htm".

Hmm. Those are expensive controllers...

At least memoryx.com still has 2 and 4 gig SCA drives that can be
installed in sparc boxes. I have a sparc 4 that is in need of a
disk and some memory.

--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com