Subject: Re: SCSI disk and controllers
To: None <rmk@rmkhome.com>
From: Jussi Hamalainen <count@theblah.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/20/2001 10:04:07
On Sat, 19 May 2001, Rick Kelly wrote:

> For sparc, 50 pin and SCA are the supported drives, but try to find 4
> or 9 gig drives anymore.

You can plug wide (68 pin) SCSI-drives to your Sun's SCSI bus if the
drive supports sindle-ended operation. I've got 2 Seagate 18.2GB
Barracudas hooked up to a SPARCstation5 and they work perfectly. All
you need is an adapter. The only drawback is that the adapter won't
fit inside the lunchbox chassis, so you need an external box for IPC,
IPX, Classic and LX. :(

> For i386, the only Ultra SCSI drive left out there seems to be the
> Seagate 18 gig.

I think IBM still manufactures 50pin UltraSCSI drives. You'll
probably need to order straight from them, though.

--
-=[ Count Zero / TBH - Jussi Hämäläinen - email count@theblah.org ]=-