Subject: Re: FQDN - epilog
To: Georges Heinesch <geohei-ml@geohei.lu>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2001 23:19:25
On Wed, May 16, 2001 at 06:42:02PM +0100, Georges Heinesch wrote:
> Hi.
>
> I've given many answers to the question "what shall I enter as
> 'domainname' in '/etc/rc.conf', if I use 3 NetBSD boxes on a local
> LAN".
>
> The question arised after sendmail reported every night that my
> hostname isn't FQDN compliant.
>
> I was said that I can choose anything I want.
> -> Can/should this be a valid Internet name like 'geohei.lu'?

No, it just needs to be known to the local machine (that is, defined in
/etc/hosts).

> -> Do I face conflicts in case of a valid Internet name?

No more than with an invalid one :)

> Is it possible to leave it empty?
> -> What are the possible consequences?

you mean, use a machine name without a domain name ? This should work as long
as it's known to the local machine.
If you mean leave Dj empty in sendmail.cf I'm not sure this will work, I
never tried.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>