Subject: Re: 'dd' ing a hard drive to a file
To: Rob Quinn <rquinn@sprint.net>
From: John Maier <jmaier@midamerica.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/16/2001 14:02:44
Background: I'm using i386 1.5 (release) I have a SCSI drive that is from a HP
735/99 running HP/UX 10.10 and the drive is whining something fierce.

I hooked the drive to the SCSI port, the netbsd kernel sees the physical drive,
of course the partitions can't been seen.  Since I'm booting from a IDE drive,
it is the only SCSI device (yes I have a SCSI card with nothing on it, don't
ask) so it at sd0.

At the prompt I type:
> dd if=/dev/rsd0a of=hpux1010.dsk

Say it read 2xxxxxx bytes to the file and exits.

What do you think?

jam