Subject: Re: Support for internal modem?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/14/2001 03:34:08
Excerpt from Frederick Bruckman:

If you can get a 1.5 CD, that would be a fine introduction to NetBSD
as well. You can always upgrade later. I wouldn't recommend waiting
for 1.5.1, since it's SOP for schedules to slip back. You might wait
for a 1.5.1_BETA2 snapshot, though, as that could come fairly soon. I
can't comment about the last, since I don't know what you presently
have... Don't bother telling me, I can guess. :-)

From me:

What do road construction and computer software have in common?  Falling behind
schedule.  I guess the riddle "What is behind time?  The back of a clock" is now
outdated.

More to the point, do I need two separate slices if I want to keep the NetBSD
release while trying out the snapshot?  Or can the snapshot be kept in a
separate subpartition within the same slice?  I suppose there is no need for
duplicate installations of the packages.

From Frederick Bruckman again:

fredb@nbftp.isc.org-> cd ../..
fredb@nbftp.isc.org-> ls -1s rawrite32/*
  1 rawrite32/MD5
  1 rawrite32/README
 15 rawrite32/rawr32src.tar.gz
 27 rawrite32/rawr32src.zip
136 rawrite32/rawrite.exe
 93 rawrite32/rawrite.zip

From me:

I presume I could use the same RAWRITE from the Linux CDs?  RAWRITE is a DOS
program, surely there wouldn't be a separate NetBSD version?  NetBSD would use
dd.  I'd use the straight DOS version, have no support for long file names or
FAT32 with DOS.

I still have the old computer, with only 3.5" 1.44 MB diskette drive, Iomega
Zip 250 and DR-DOS 7.03, hard disks inaccessible; also have an old CD-ROM.
CD-ROM (2x, internal) and Iomega Zip 250 (external) run on the same Trantor
T130B SCSI.  Beginner status with GNU Emacs DOS port.