Subject: Re: Support for internal modem?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Mueller <tmueller@bluegrass.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/11/2001 02:12:02
<<
Don't wait! I recommend you install a 1.5.1_BETA snapshot, then track
the release via source. That way, you can report any bugs you find
(and easily test fixes for them), so you can be sure that 1.5.1 works
for you when it is finally tagged. The branch snapshots are in the
arch/${MACHINE} subdirectories on the ftp server.

Frederick

How big is 1.5.1_BETA snapshot to download?  I have 56 K modem dialup.

I saw the news item on NetBSD Web site that 1.5.1 would be out in early May,
hence the question whether to wait.  Maybe I do better to buy CDs for 1.5 +
packages?  Surely that would be better than what I have presently?!

When the ASA Computers person said that another US Robotics internal modem would
work with NetBSD but was no longer available, and I asked what that modem had to
work with NetBSD, this was the response, and I also had a question about SCSI
controller:

The older US Robotics modem had a SCSI interface and had jumpers on it.
There is another less costlier SCSI card that costs around $200 and has low
availabiltiy.
(end of quote)

I never heard of a SCSI modem before.  Was that person dumb, sleep-deprived, did
he/she get modems and SCSI controllers intertwined in his/her mind, or was there
really a SCSI modem?