Subject: Re: SCSI vs. IDE
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/10/2001 10:17:44
hpeyerl@beer.org (Herb Peyerl) writes:
> My only real comparison here is having recently switched my main
> 'mail reading / everything else' machine from an SS10 with 4 and 18G
> narrow scsi disks, to an Athlon 800 with 45G IBM IDE disks.  Both
> machines are at NetBSD.

I see the same multi-second pauses on my Athlon (A7V) with IDE disks
serving NFS.  (So its not just your system.)

At one point in the recent past NFS did mongo-writes with a zillion
fragments which didn't help.  That is now changed, but there are still
short-duration hangs of a different sort.  I'll even see it when
sitting at the Athlon's console and everything freezes for a second or
two and then continues on.

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>