Subject: Re: AMD equiv to direct automount mounts?
To: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/09/2001 17:13:02
I don't understand the difference between the two:
> > For those of you who aren't sure what that is, it allows me to have, say
> > /projects be auto-mounted when I cd into it (instead of /projects/*).

My work system is setup with NIS and amd so that even if a user doesn't
have an entry in my local /etc/passwd, they can log into my PC.  There home
file directory is /u/their_userid where /u is auto-mounted by amd.

While people don't general do this, amd is great for managing my CDROM
drives.  As a generic user without special priveledges, I can press the
eject button on the front of the CDROM, insert a CD, close it.  I then log
into the system and change directory to the drive

cd /cdrom/drive0

and amd automagically mounts the CDROM.  When I'm done with the CDROM, I cd
out of it and tell amd to unmount it with

amq -u /cdrom/drive0

I can then, as a generic user, eject the CDROM with

eject cdrom0

This also works for my CDRW drive, which mounts as /cdrom/drive1, and the
floppy drive.

I had all sorts of problems with amd as shipped in 1.5 but eventually got
the scripts ironed out.  Let me know if you're interested in them.