Subject: Re: Strange NFS/RPC problem w/ NetBSD/Linux
To: Samuel Lellouche <sam@omatis.com>
From: Chris Pinnock <cjep@fawlty.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/09/2001 19:37:42
On Wed, May 09, 2001 at 09:11:56PM +0000, Samuel Lellouche wrote:
> But On the other hand i have a Linux Slackware that can't mount the
> exported volumes,
> and can't "showmount" the server.
  [...]
> The strangest thing is that as soon as this machine tries a showmount or
> a mount,
> None of my other boxes (NetBSD, linux) can mount/umount or showmount the
> server, until I kill -HUP the mountd and the rpcbind...

It is possible that you are running a Linux kernel with buggy NFS code.
Several NFS patches that some Linux vendors were including with their
pre-2.2.18 distributions didn't go into Linus-approved Linux kernel until
2.2.18. Slackware tend to stick with Linus-approved kernel. It is possible
that the client is causing the problem. However, the server ought to be
able to cope with this.

Can you send the version details of the O.S.'s involved to the list?

cheers,
--
Chris