Subject: Re: SCSI vs. IDE
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/03/2001 23:15:40
FWIW, I've _always_ had nasty system performance while running
dailies/weeklies.  It could be that it's because of my naive approach to
system installation (pop in a NetBSD install disk, boot it, and let it
partition/newfs as it thinks best; (^&).

My experience is limited to two i386 class PC's (one a stock Gateway 2000
desktop, and another a barebones Athlon system onto which I've tacked
stuff).  Both have IDE disks.

I've been using NetBSD since 1.3 (or a subsequent patch-release thereof),
through 1.5 proper (up to present day).  I assumed that lousy performance
was just part of the overhead of dailies.  (Though life has improved
remarkably since around 1.4 or 1.5---I forget which---where at least the X
mouse pointer moves more or less normally during the dailies.)

Hm.  If it makes such a big difference, maybe I should dig out that old
1GB SCSI drive that I have and find room for it.  (^&  I couldn't live
entirely off of it, but I could migrate a lot of stuff to it.

  "I probably don't know what I'm talking about." --rauch@eecs.ukans.edu