Subject: Re: sysctl questions
To: Emre Yildirim <emre.yildirim@us.army.mil>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 05/01/2001 15:36:54
On Tue, May 01, 2001 at 01:16:26AM -0400, Emre Yildirim wrote:
> Hello people,
>
> does
>
> sysctl -w ddb.onpanic=0
>
> mean the box will reboot when there is a kernel panic rather than
> dropping into ddb?

Yes, it should.

> And also, what's the highest I can set kern.maxproc to?  Is there a
> limit....or does it depend on how much RAM/CPU power the machine has.
> How stable will the machine run if the value is set to its max?

I don't know what the limit can be. If you have lots of processes, you may need
to bump some other constants too.
The initial value is computed at kernel compile time, based on maxusers value:
#define     NPROC   (20 + 16 * MAXUSERS)
So you may want to rebuild a kernel with a higther maxusers.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>