Subject: a pleasant surprise with a USB floppy
To: None <netbsd-users@Netbsd.org>
From: Steve Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/26/2001 12:47:44
I ordered a USB floopy from IBM with my Thinkpad.  I didn't have very
high hopes, but I was pleasantly surprised when I connected it:

umass0 at uhub0 port 1 configuration 1 interface 0
umass0: TEAC     TEAC FD-05PUB   , rev 1.00/0.00, addr 2
umass0: using UFI over CBI-I
scsibus0 at umass0: 2 targets, 1 luns per target
scsibus0: waiting 2 seconds for devices to settle...
sd0 at scsibus0 target 1 lun 0: <TEAC, FD-05PUB, 1026> SCSI0 0/direct removable
sd0: drive offline

To be usre, it was odd seeing a floppy with a SCSI interface, but it
works.  (I also found that NetBSD seems to be picker about what
constitutes a legal FAT file system than Windows is.  Then again,
refusing to believe random garbage may be why NetBSD is so much more
stable...)