Subject: Re: DivX player
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Zach Fine <zach@xdsl014.serv.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/13/2001 09:31:14
Just because the early adopters of mpg4 video are using it to trade
illegal copies of films and TV shows doesn't mean that the codec is
itself a force of evil. Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. I
for one am happy to see that a decent new format is now playable on
NetBSD -- it'll make it easier for me to pick a format that's playable
on many platforms when I next have to decide on a format for
distributing a video. MPG1 has long been eclipsed by other formats in
terms of quality and filesize (Sorenson encoded quicktime files is an
obvious example) and that older MPG format has been the best playable
on NetBSD until now.

-Zach Fine
(film editor & NetBSD user)