Subject: Re: Cool feature: FTP rate throttling
To: Johnny C. Lam <lamj@stat.cmu.edu>
From: Emre Yildirim <emre.yildirim@us.army.mil>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/10/2001 11:05:17
On Tuesday 10 April 2001 08:31 US Central Time, Johnny C. Lam wrote:
> I'm not sure how many people use this feature in our FTP client in
> this day and age of high-speed Internet access, but for those of us
> like myself, stuck in areas that get neither cable broadband nor
> DSL and thus required to use a modem, FTP rate throttling is
> super-useful. Using "rate all 2048", I can limit FTP throughput to
> 2KB/s on my 33.6K baud rate connection and thus preserve enough
> bandwidth to surf the web using links or ssh to various places and

This is kinda cool.  But there doesn't seem to be such a feature in
the FTP daemon.  I would be really nice to limit all uploads on the
FTP server to, let's say 25KB/sec, without using ALTQ or something
similar.  Maybe something in /etc/ftpd.conf that controls at how much
bandwidth the FTP server uploads.  Is this already implemented?  If
not, wouldn't this be a good idea?

Cheers