Subject: Re: Duplex printing...
To: Richard Rauch <rauch@eecs.ukans.edu>
From: Thorbjorn Jemander <thoan@ifm.liu.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/08/2001 16:49:28
Richard Rauch wrote:

> I'm not familiar with Solaris, but from the context and the general
> meaning, I assume that ``-Cduplex'' has to do with printing on both sides
> of a page.  Does this make use of special printer support, or does it
> merely split the document into even/odd pages in two passes so that you
> can print the odd pages, then feed the sheets back through facing the
> other way around to print the even pages?

The first. Cut and paste:

You can select Duplex/Simplex, A3/A4, manual feed, paper tray source
and output trays using the -Coptions option. (For the printers that
support those options of course).

Available "-C" options:

duplex
      Enable duplex printing (print on both sides of the paper).
tumble
      Tumble the duplex printed papers.
tray=number
      Select paper source (source 0 (zero) is normally the highest
      input tray, but this might vary between printers).
paper=type
      An alternativ way to select input tray, using paper size/type.
      Valid types include: a4, a3, paper, transparency, oh
manual
      Select manual paper feed. The printer will display a message
      on it's display and wait for you to insert a paper in the manual
      feed slot and press the "Continue" button.

This is not documented in Sun's manual pages... they're pretty
much the same as NetBSDs. Hmm... maybe this is added by our local
sysadmin.

> (I don't use it much because paper is slightly prone to jamming my printer
> when run through the printer a second time.)

Uh, well, that's hard. I'm sharing the printers with 300 other users
and the closest one is in a parallel univ.. corridor.

Thanks anyway,
Thorbjörn