Subject: Re: what i see ;) port-s390
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/08/2001 13:58:17
Hi,

On 8 Apr 2001, at 10:40, wojtek@3miasto.net wrote:

> the real numbers are probably weak or IBM would show them for
> sure.

You could also require the others to show mainframe numbers. Any
target market has other numbers, may that be transactions per
second or gatter operatiosn per second or whatever.

However, the S/390 has its "MIPS" that is not compareable to our
Misleading Information on Processor Speed.

You may want to visit "http://www.acude.org/roam.htm" (be shure
to use lynx or something that eliminates the dark grey background
to make the black text visible!).

They say:
"Did anyone notice that the crown jewel from Sun Microsystems,
the Starfire, fully equipped actually is more expensive than a top of
the line Mainframe from e.g. Hitachi? I personally think this should
be an incitement for the typical mainframe manufacturer to wake up
and put some serious thought into porting something like Linux to
the mainframe.
Unix systems are slowly getting up on the same levels as the
traditional mainframe have had for years. Sun claims to deliver
some 3000 mainframe MIPS on a 64-way 64 bit 400 MHz
UltraSparc 64Gbyte Starfire."

mike