Subject: Re: what i see ;) port-s390
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Thomas Michael Wanka <Tom@Wanka.at>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2001 11:22:01
On 7 Apr 2001, at 12:06, Greg Lehey wrote:

> I don't think you'll get BS2000 to run on an IBM machine.
Hi,

to my information BS2000 is the OS of Fujitsu Siemens for their
S/390 machines. I do not know how compatible they are :).

> I don't believe that's the case.  The /390 is not a very fast machine.
> I saw a small one at a trade show a few weeks back, and they said it
> would do about 200 MIPS.  The real advantage of the /390 is the data
> routing capability.  If you're looking for a number cruncher, forget
> it.

I might be wrong, but I remember publications that wrote about
S/390 systems as numbercrunchers. I have never heard IBM
speaking about MIPS, they have their own terminology of measuring
CPU power. On the other hand, CPU power is not the most
important thing. As a bottom line to the original question I think we
can say, there are shurely good reasons to use S/390 and kinds of
unix on them.

mike