Subject: Re: what i see ;) port-s390
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/07/2001 00:15:46
On Sat, Apr 07, 2001 at 12:06:20PM +0930, Greg Lehey wrote:
> I don't believe that's the case.  The /390 is not a very fast machine.
> I saw a small one at a trade show a few weeks back, and they said it
> would do about 200 MIPS.  The real advantage of the /390 is the data
> routing capability.  If you're looking for a number cruncher, forget
> it.

Oh, and the vector instructions are nonfunctional if the processor is
in 64-bit mode. I imagine IBM has a nice SP they'll sell you for number
crunching.

Incidentally, the Multiprise 3000 is 7060, not 7090. My bad. I guess expecting
to remember model numbers this late at night is a bit of a stretch....

Ok, I'll shut up now. G'night.
--
"A method for inducing cats to exercise consists of directing a beam of
invisible light produced by a hand-held laser apparatus onto the floor ...