Subject: Re: USB support for Nikon 990 camera?
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2001 13:37:32
smb@research.att.com (Steve Bellovin) writes:
> Does anyone have a way to speak to a Nikon 990 using the USB port?
> http://www.math.ualberta.ca/imaging/) but they're for Freebsd and/or
> need libusb.  The NetBSD libusb is very different!

I've got photopc working now.  Libusb needed a bit of whacking.
Luckily Greg Troxel sent me a patch to get freebsd working.  That
saved me lots of work.

        http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/ftp/libusb-netbsd.diff .

This patch is against a feb-18th version of the anon-cvs version of
libusb.  Greg did mention that he'd spruce up the patches and send
them in, so for all I know it works out of the box now.

One wart is that I was too lazy to hack up a temporary string to mung
the freebsd name of the ugen0 port to the netbsd name.  I just added a
sym link

  0 lrwxr-xr-x  1 root  wheel  8 Feb 18 12:25 /dev/ugen0@ -> ugen0.00

The coolpix 990 usb download isn't as fast as the cf/pcmcia card
adaptor method by a far shot.  The upside is that I finally can set
the time on the camera from my computer (which runs NTP).

-wolfgang
--
       Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang+gnus@dailyplanet.wsrcc.com>
		    http://www.wsrcc.com/wolfgang/