Subject: Tape access over net
To: NetBSD Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 04/01/2001 11:54:51
Hello,

I'm trying to write to a DAT drive over 100 Mbps Ethernet using ssh..
something like this:

tar -c -v -f - -T /var/run/tapefilelist |
  ssh -c blowfish sysfoo buffer -m 4m -p 25 -B -o /dev/rst1 -t

This works, but is very slow and I can only fit about 3.2 GB on a 4 GB tape.
CPU load on both machines is less than 5% and net usage is about 500 K/s.

If I redirect the output of buffer into a file on sysfoo, net usage is
around 5 MB/s (and CPU usage almost 100%).

If I run tar on sysfoo, I can fit more data on the tape and the speed is
approximately doubled.

What am I doing wrong?  I don't want to NFS mount this particular disk on
sysfoo to be able to copy files to tape..

  -jm