Subject: Re: bash
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/25/2001 22:30:04
Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com> writes:

>No directory stack (pushd, popd). Yes, I've seen implementations under
>ksh, but most of them are as long as the rest of my ~/.shinit file, so
>I just switched back to bash.

just as an add-on hint, a sample implementation of pushd/popd/dirs
(not just for ksh, works with sh too) is contained in the sh-source
in the NetBSD source tree, in [/usr/src]/bin/sh/funcs.  You only
have to include one of the files here since they all contain the
same.  It's not written in the best style (I cleaned up my copy a
little bit before using it) but it works quite well and "authentic".
Another implementation can be found in Korn and Bolsky's ksh book
and I guess there're more on the 'Net.  In comparison with bash,
I prefer to extend the shell dynamically via scripts etc. than
having everything imaginable compiled into it.

mkb