Subject: Re: Alcatel DSL drivers
To: Jorgen Lundman <lundman@lundman.net>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/23/2001 11:45:55
Hi,

> I see they've release the Linux drivers for Alcatel DSL USB modems. Is
> anyone looking at the NBSD version of that? The OpenSource section
> http://www.alcatel.com/consumer/dsl/SpeedTouch.tar.gz
> seems to be linked against a "sarlib" which appears to be not available.
>
> As it is kernel level I suspect there is little chance to simply /emul
> it ?:)

Two problems:-

1/ Linux drivers dont work on NetBSD at all, so a rewrite
   would be required.

2/ Their definition of Open is not 100% open AFAIK.  Read
   the license.  You could probably write a firmware loader
   and distribute it, but not the firmware, which you'd
   need to download but you cant because you need the
   device to get on the internet to get the firmware
   with ;)  Thats a hypothetical worst case situation
   though ;))

- Chris