Subject: hard drive screwing up (was re: motherboard)
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: None <emre@module.vsrc.uab.edu>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/22/2001 21:43:59
Hello,

Thanks to everyone who shared their advice on which motherboard
I should get.  I got the KT7-RAID and it works very well.

Except one thing, I'm getting lots of device timeouts and had to
reinstall NetBSD couple of times because of this.  Here is what I get:

 /netbsd: pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
 /netbsd:  type: ata tc_bcount: 2048 tc_skip: 0
 /netbsd: pciide0:0:0: bus-master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x20
 /netbsd: wd0: transfer error, downgrading to Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data transfers)
 /netbsd: wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 1 (using DMA data transfers)
 /netbsd: wd0a: DMA error writing fsbn 16 of 16-19 (wd0 bn 79; cn 0 tn 1 sn 16), retrying
 /netbsd: wd0: soft error (corrected)

I accidentally pushed the power button while the box was running, and when
I rebooted, the system went into fsck like usually.  But about 15 seconds
after it started fsck, I got those messages.  They repeated themselves
probably for half an hour, so I finally rebooted.  Next boot, the system
wouldn't boot up :( (it said "netbsd" was missing and tried booting other
combinations).  I assume the filesystem got corrupted or something.

Some more info:  This server has a fresh and new 34GB IBM hdd (which is the
trouble some hdd) and another 80GB disk.  Does anyone know what causes this?
The hdd is *brand new* installed NetBSD 1.5R from the NetBSD FTP (20010206)

Thanks for any help.