Subject: dns/dhcpd help
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Michael Roark <roark@bitbox.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/19/2001 21:14:39
I have run into kind of a logistics problem that I hope someone out
there can help me with. I am fairly new to dhcpd as an
administrator, so I didn't expect to run into my current problem. I
am the admin for a k-12 school district. I tired of trying to keep up
with what ip's were available and putting new user nodes into dns,
so I setup dhcp services. Thus far it is the best thing for my
situation, except for one thing. I have to periodically review log
entries for squid, syslog, and (of course) the mail logs for various
transgressions against the acceptable use policy. Now that I am
using dhcp, I can't just look at the resolved name. Given the above,
what would be the best way, with the least amount of pain, to arrive
at intelligible log entries?

I noticed when watching from the console, that the node sends
what it thinks it's dns name is to the dhcpd server
(foo.domain.edu). Of course, dhcpd tries to resolve it, fails, and
goes on to assign the node it's network info with minimal
complaint. It would be nice if dhcpd would accept the machine
name (foo) as the descriptor for the log entry, but I do not know if
this is possible.

I have considered using authentication on the proxy, but that would
get ugly, considering the student users and the added
administrative overhead of having to maintenance yet another
user/pass file. In short, I want to have my cake and eat it too.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,

Michael