Subject: Re: why /bin and /sbin static
To: Martin Husemann <martin@duskware.de>
From: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/18/2001 14:22:29
> > i've already recompiled bin and sbin dynamic (without later steps as my
> > /usr is on / partition) on my 8MB notebook and it's much faster and
> > about few MB less diskspace!!!
>
> It is *faster*? How did you measure? What is the memory impact? Did you measure
> that as well?

first measurements:

booting (from pressing enter on boot command to seeing login:) on my
486/66 notebook with 8MB RAM and 850MB disk.

with static /bin and /sbin: 62 seconds. without: 53 seconds.

please note that kernel inself boots 12 seconds, there are stuff started
like sshd and pppd etc..

so the difference IS large.

there are big visual difference when using /bin and /sbin commands
especially ls,ps,df and top when system is loaded and swapping - they
starts about 2 times faster.