Subject: Re: OT: RAS ?
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/10/2001 10:55:47
On Sat, 10 Mar 2001, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:

> This is a newbie question: If you need to host a site on a machine of your
> own, you need to get a (static) IP address, and also a leased line to your
> machine.  But, is it possible to achieve something along those lines using
> a dynamic IP ?

Yes, you can do it with a dynamic IP.

> *BSDs.  Does anybody have any suggestions on the possiblities ?

I used dyndns.org for about a year on my mom's computer. Basically, I used
a hostname under my own domain which was a cname to the dyndns
hostname. Also, it had a MX record setup so her computer could handle my
younger brother's mail.

It was useful for me, since I admin'd it remotely and I didn't like doing
a variety of IP scans just trying to figure out which box was theirs.

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/