Subject: Re: what to do after a crash
To: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/09/2001 21:57:54
On Fri, Mar 09, 2001 at 03:38:33AM -0700, Erik Huizing wrote:
> After running the security resports this morning, my machine apears to
> have rebooted itself for no apparent reason. I suspect it may have
> crashed, and was wondering where I start looking to trace why.
> I've looked in /var/crash, and the only file there was once called minfree
> that contains '1024'

No core dump here then
Have a look at the /var/log/message for the last boot messages and look for
outputs of "savecore".

But it's possible that the machine crashed in a way that it didn't generate
a core dump. I've such a PC, which resets whithout panic or anything.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>