Subject: Re: Small, cheap systems...
To: None <tm_wanka@earthling.net>
From: None <Chris.Smith@raytheon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 03/08/2001 09:06:24
Hi,

> > Enlight uATX cases where the drive connector faces
> > downwards (very ugly!).

> most harddrive documentations I read (can be some years
> ago:)), stated that the drive must not be mounted with
> the connectors up or down and should only be minimal off
> the horizontal or vertical position. Notebook drives may
> be different.

I hear from a friend that that is correct - the heads have
greater momentum when moving one way than the other due
to the addition acceleration of gravity.  This is likely
to either screw the data or the drive.  I wouldn't do it,
and those Enlight cases were consigned to the bin (after
attacking one with a sledge-hammer ;)

- Chris.