Subject: Re: ATAPI UltraDMA questions...
To: Wolfgang Rupprecht <wolfgang@wsrcc.com>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2001 21:00:10
On Wed, Feb 28, 2001 at 10:45:13AM -0800, Wolfgang Rupprecht wrote:
> I think the raw performance of IDE is quite good (especially if you
> only put one disk on a cable). The IBM DTLA-307075 (an IDE drive)
> reads at 36.4 MBytes/sec.

I get over 37 MB/s on my IBM's.

> The one caveat is that all current drives are zoned, meaning that they
> are faster on the outer (low-numbered) tracks than the inner ones.
> The above IBM slows down by a factor of ~2 on the inner tracks.

Isn't this true for SCSI disks as well?

I have two IDE disks on the same cable and they read/write over 22 MB/s
simultaneously.  I get over 20 MB/s through RAID1 from these two disks.
I have never had an SCSI device that could beat this ;-)  (Yeah, they
do exist, but they are expensive and need an UW controller..)

  -jm