Subject: Re: compressing UUCP mail
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Chris Baird <cjb@brushtail.apana.org.au>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/28/2001 06:13:32
David Wetzel,
 > I have some clients who get their mail via UUCP over IP.

Very sensible of them. :)

 > To save bandwith I made two wrappers that compress/decompress the
 > mails. [...]
 > Comments are welcome!

I would recommend using an ssh pipe instead, as it offers in-line
compression (and encryption) on the entire UUCP session without
needing scripts that could introduce reliability problems. I've been
using it on my home system since the start of the year, and for a
mailing-list-heavy feed I'm seeing a throughput increase between 300-400%.

A how-to was recently mentioned on the taylor-uucp mailing list, and
it can now be found at http://www.internatif.org/bortzmeyer/uucp-over-ssh/

--
Chris Baird,,