Subject: Re: tcsh for root shell
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Hal Snyder <hal@vailsys.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/22/2001 10:27:41
Mipam <mipam@ibb.net> writes:

> Suppose i'll compile tcsh staticly and install the bin in /bin
> and adjust /etc/shells to add /bin/tcsh in there.
> I'll change the root shell in vipw to put /bin/tcsh in there
> as well.. works fine.
> However, any reasons which i dont see right now that is
> why i shouldnt do this or why this is a bad idea?
> Perhaps for security reasons its not that a good idea, for tsch
> is bigger then sh and so will theoreticly contain more bugs
> and therefore more potential security issues.
> But other then that .. i have the feeling i am missing some arguments here?

Because even allegedly compatible shells differ subtly, you run
the risk of having a key startup script fail - and maybe not right
away, but after installing an update.

Better to create a second user (FreeBSD uses toor) with uid=gid=0 but
other login shell.

I used to do this, preferring ksh over csh, but now rarely bother,
using sudo instead to do most root ops.