Subject: Re: netbsd on 8MB RAM
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: David Brownlee <abs@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/16/2001 10:03:05
On Fri, 16 Feb 2001 wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:

> i did some testing hew netbsd works on low memory system. and my results
> was terrible!!! i reconfigured my system to not run X and squid, running
> named, pppd. sshd, inetd, cron and sendmail.
> kernel tells about 5600 available RAM, while top shows sum of active,
> inactive, free no more than 2MB.
> system performance is terrible, tried to run gcc - it's constantly heavy
> swapping. everything is swapping!
>
> what i've done wrong? i've used linux on 8MB and was much faster and
> almost no swapping compared to netbsd.

	Were you using the same compiler with the same options - the
	version of gcc used in NetBSD uses a lot more memory than earlier
	versions, plus compile flags default to -O2 which causes it to
	use even more memory when optimising.

	Are you using a GENERIC or cutomised kernel?

		David/absolute		-- www.netbsd.org: No hype required --