Subject: Re: KDE2 question
To: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
From: TODD WITTER <witter@wpr.org>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/12/2001 11:46:11
Thanks indeed for the link!
That was what I kind of figured but being new to BSDs is general
makes me ask lots of questions.  I just wish there were a decent
book on NetBSD.  There are a few on FreeBSD but I think there are
enough differences between the two that I might get a bit confused.
 Perhaps I am wrong.
Thanks, again, for the answer.

On 12 Feb 01, at 9:30, Jeremy C. Reed wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Feb 2001, TODD WITTER wrote:
>
> > I do know that it is a bit incomplete in it's current state (for BSDs), I
> > see that kdebase2.0 and its counterparts are available for
> > download, not from NetBSD, but from both OpenBSD and FreeBSD.
> >
> > Is it possible to use pkg_add to grab those binaries for my NetBSD
> > system or will it break because they came from either the Open or
> > Free ftp sites?
>
> I believe that the packages have different formats. Also, the
> prerequisites package names may be different.
>
> You could grab the package source for these though and try to implement
> the ideas (from the patches and Makefiles).
>
> I successfully installed and used KDE2 under NetBSD 1.5 (i386) using the
> pkgsrc from Nick Hudson's webpage
> http://www.nthcliff.demon.co.uk/NetBSD/KDE2/.
>
>    Jeremy C. Reed
>    http://bsd.reedmedia.net/

What if everything is an illusion and nothing exists?
In that case, I definitely overpaid for my carpet.
-- Woody Allen, "Without Feathers"

Todd Witter
witter@wpr.org
tfwitter@facstaff.wisc.edu