Subject: Re: /var/run/log
To: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
From: Luke Mewburn <lukem@wasabisystems.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/12/2001 05:51:00
On Sun, Feb 11, 2001 at 11:43:26AM -0700, Erik Huizing wrote:
> If you look in /etc/newsyslog.conf, /var/log/messages gets trimmed once it
> reaches a certain size. By default, this is 30K.

That's probably a bad example, and can actually be abused by the
spamming example. After 7 hours of the job running, and 7 iterations
of newsyslog from cron, you'll lose any of the log messages before
then.

I don't use newsyslog because I dislike the format of the rotated
filenames (foo, foo.0.gz, foo.1.gz, ....), amongst other things.
That's why I wrote logrot (c.f sysutils/logrot in pkgsrc), which I run
out of cron weekly with an entry like:
	0 6 * * 3 cd /var/log ; logrot -d old -c auth authpriv cron daemon ftp kern local0 local1 local2 local3 local4 local5 local6 local7 lpr mail news syslog user uucp

(I have separate files for separate facilities; see
/usr/share/examples/syslogd/all.debug)

Also note that syslog coalesces multiple identical messages into one
log message. This can easily be defeated, but does reduce the impact
of the second issue highlighted below.

--
Luke Mewburn  <lukem@wasabisystems.com>  http://www.wasabisystems.com
Luke Mewburn     <lukem@netbsd.org>      http://www.netbsd.org