Subject: Re: apache and mod_ssl
To: Justin Heath <justin@bbnow.net>
From: Kevin P. Neal <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2001 09:18:35
On Thu, Feb 08, 2001 at 09:11:17PM +0000, Justin Heath wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 07, 2001 at 08:22:14PM -0700, Erik Huizing wrote:
> > Thanks for the help. I just need to tweak apache a bit so that it doesn't
> > use a really wierd port. Do I need to have a virtual host running for SSL
> > to work properly? Ideally, I'd like to have the server to serve out pages
> > normally on port 80 and use SSL for https (443, right?). Will uncommenting
> > the <IfDefine SSL> </Ifdefine> around the default virtual host do the
> > trick?

You mean it doesn't work like that anyway? IE, http://your.server/ goes
to port 80 and https://your.server/ goes to port 443 (the SSL port)?

Doesn't it take some work to get Apache to not behave the standard way?
What do your Listen and Bind (Bind?) directives look like?

As for virtual hosts, you can use them with SSL but do not have to. The
<IfDefine SSL> goop simply allows you to use the same config files with
a non-SSL Apache and an SSL Apache.
           On the community of supercomputer fans:
"But what we lack in size we make up for in eccentricity."
  from Steve Gombosi, comp.sys.super, 31 Jul 2000 11:22:43 -0600