Subject: ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PCI
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Dumitriu <alexrd@earthlink.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/09/2001 03:40:39
Anyone had any success using a 16MB ATI All-In-Wonder 128 PCI card under
NetBSD (XFREE86 3.x or 4.x). I've tried the various config tools
(xf86config, XF86Setup, xf86cfg) as well as trusty old vi, and even though
I'm pretty sure I have everything right, the X Server just hangs on startup
every time (although the graphical setup utils work). I'm pretty confident
in my X tweaking abilities, so I'm not so much asking for help as wondering
if anyone has any success/failure stories with this card, so I can figure
out if I'm on a wild goose chase. The theory is this card is well supported
(being RAGE 128 and all) and looking through the morass of Linux help and
HOWTO's yields mostly happy customers, though basically all using the AGP
verison of this card.

For the record, I'm using a pretty recent NetBSD-release (though I tried
with a flat 1.5) and for the moment XFREE864.0.2 (though again, I've tried 3
as well). This is all under NetBSDi386 on a pretty vanilla P150 (HP vectra
if anyone cares). Standard error and output are pretty uninformative, except
that xf86cfg says my card reports Manufacturer: ATI and Model: Unknown
before giving up in disgrace.

Any observations would be most welcome...
-- Alex