Subject: Re: Who is "toor"?
To: =?iso-8859-1?Q?Lasse_Hiller=F8e_Petersen?= <lhp@toft-hp.dk>
From: Matthias Buelow <mkb@mukappabeta.de>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 02/04/2001 00:13:53
Lasse Hillerĝe Petersen <lhp@toft-hp.dk> writes:
>As I work with AIX in my day job, I think I would like do both a and b
>(with ksh), unless someone more knowledgeable says "no, no! Doing that will
>break X!"

since NetBSD's sh and ksh are both statically linked (as is csh) and
contained in the root filesystem, there shouldn't be any problem,
I always immediately replace /bin/csh with /bin/ksh for root in passwd
and never experienced anything odd with that.
It might be problematic, though, if you configured something like
/usr/pkg/bin/bash for the superuser account and something happens
to /usr or the libraries (we had one such occasion when replacing the
shared (n)curses library on a gnu/linux system with a newer one had
the ill side effect that /bin/sh, which is a dynamically linked bash on
that system, simply crashed with segfault immediately when invoked.)

mkb