Subject: Re: FTP: LIST vs. NLST
To: Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
From: Johan Danielsson <joda@pdc.kth.se>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/31/2001 13:54:09
Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU> writes:

> It is quite likely (well, possible anyway) that on the systems that
> were in use, the possibility of treating a directory as if it were a
> file had never been considered.

Not very likely no, but that doesn't imply that they didn't show up in
directory listings. If those systems didn't show directories (if they
had any) in the native dir/ls equivalent, it might make sense to not
include them in an FTP listing, but not otherwise. I guess CP/M might
have done this, since it's user concept was pretty much like
directories [I guess we'll get a long description of how CP/M *really*
worked here soon :-)].

/Johan