Subject: Re: rst0 and st0
To: Steven M. Bellovin <smb@research.att.com>
From: Rick Kelly <rmk@toad.rmkhome.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2001 20:55:02
Steven M. Bellovin said:

>Back in the mists of time (I mean *way* back), it was possible to mount
>block tape devices as read-only file systems.  They did have very long
>seek times, though, so this wasn't really recommended....  (There were
>some DEC tape drives where it was possible to rewrite a block in the
>middle of a file, and I think that those could be mounted read-write.)

Charles River Data Systems UNOS did this up until its demise a few years
ago. The OS was booted from tape for installation, and the tape was
mounted on /, read-only. Any tape containing a UNOS (aka V7) filesystem
could be mounted read-only. It was painfully slow.

I still have a Universe 68 system that will be attached to my network,
one of these days.
--
Rick Kelly  rmk@rmkhome.com  www.rmkhome.com