Subject: Re: dual head video cards
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/30/2001 12:32:26
On Monday, 29 January 2001 at 20:54:14 +0100, wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:
> how does it work - is it possible to have separate vga devices and
> separate X-servers started on it.

The Matrox M400 and M450 cards come in a dual display version which is
supported by XFree86 4.x.  Unfortunately, the second display has a
significantly lower resolution than the first, so I don't use it on my
M400.

> i'm thinking about cheap (but effective) terminal system for home/small
> office.
>
> one PeeCee, many video cards (one AGP, up to 4-5 PCI) with one or two
> monitor output, USB, long monitor cables (standard ISB is up to 5m,
> shouldn't be problem to make custom 15-20m , same with monitors), many USB
> keyboards and mice.

That's a different issues, of course.  You can do that too.  The
machine on which I'm writing this has an M400 (AGP) and 2 Matrox
Millennium cards, each connected to a 21" monitor.  I'm also using x2x
to connect another monitor on a different machine, and also a laptop,
to make a total of 5 displays and 10 mexapixels, all controlled from
the same keyboard and mouse.  The biggest problem is the crick in your
neck :-)

Greg