Subject: Re: just moved completely from linux to netbsd-1.5
To: None <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Jeremy C. Reed <reed@reedmedia.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2001 11:45:49
Welcome!

On Fri, 26 Jan 2001 wojtek@wojtek.from.pl wrote:

> was very easy. most of configfiles were OK etc...

Excellent.

> 1) why /etc/profile isn't executed when starting /usr/pkg/bin/bash ?

bash only uses /etc/profile if it is invoked as a login shell. Try opening
bash with --login or using "login" (with bash as your shell). It doesn't
use it if you simply type "bash" at a command line (because you are
already logged in). This should be the same under Linux.

> 2) why umask is set to 002 for ordinary user - which mean all files
> will be group writable and default group for all uses are the same!!!!

I am not sure why this was decided. But you can change the .profile for
your users and /etc/skel/.profile for future users. You can also configure
to use login.conf login classes and set the umask as you want.

Have fun with NetBSD!

   Jeremy C. Reed
   http://www.reedmedia.net/