Subject: Re: Tracking -current
To: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
From: Reed Shadgett <aiko@antigone.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2001 07:25:55
On Fri, Jan 26, 2001 at 05:53:53PM +0530, Rakhesh Sasidharan wrote:
> Ooh, I'm thoroughly confused now.  Let me see: I need to get two things --
> 1. a snapshot, and 2. the -current source.

Installing a snapshot is a good starting point, since it will make
building -current easier for you.

> Link (1.) above, is probably the -current source.

Yes, updated weekly.

> And that means I need
> to get a snapshot from some place, and install that first, and then
> compile the -current source.  Am I right ?

That is the recommended procedure for the first time.

> But if the KAME ISO image is like a 1.5 box, I suppose the stuff in /arch
> on ftp.netbsd.org would be newer, and (hence) better ?

One's a branch and one's the development trunk.  The Plat'Home ISO can
be thought of as 'pre-1.5.1' as of a couple days ago, and the last i386
snapshot from ftp.netbsd.org is -current as of 3 months ago.

One is netbsd-1-5, which branched off of -current in June.  The other is
the development trunk (-current).  Newer is a term that doesn't really
work well in this case (they're both active trees), and while better is
very subjective, a recent -current snapshot will help you more for what
you want to do.

--
Reed <aiko@antigone.net>