Subject: Re: Tracking -current
To: Reed Shadgett <aiko@antigone.net>
From: Rakhesh Sasidharan <rakhesh@cse.iitd.ernet.in>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/26/2001 17:53:53

> > Hmmm, I went thru the NetBSD tracking -current docs now, and I it says I
> > need to download the stuff in the first link
>
> You need the NetBSD-current sources if you want to build -current.
> These are available from sup, ftp, anoncvs, etc.  I'd probably suggest
> anoncvs.  There's instructions for that available at:

Ooh, I'm thoroughly confused now.  Let me see: I need to get two things --
1. a snapshot, and 2. the -current source.

Link (1.) above, is probably the -current source.  And that means I need
to get a snapshot from some place, and install that first, and then
compile the -current source.  Am I right ?  Please enlighten me.

> http://www.netbsd.org/Documentation/current/#using-anoncvs

Unfortunately, I have no direct Net access.  I get my hard-disk to our
labs, download everything I want, and then play with them on my home
machine.   I suppose CVS is out for me then ...

> > and also the stuff in
> > ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/i386/snapshot/.
>
> Installing a snapshot of NetBSD-current beforehand would definitely make
> it easier for you.  You may wish to find a newer snapshot though. :)
>
> I think there was a URI for a newer snapshot in the thread you got these
> Plat'Home links from.

Yes, but unfortunately that link doesn't work.  It just can't find that
domain. :(

But anyways, in the process I found some more mails along that thread, and
I think things are a bit more clearer to me.  I am currently downloading
the -current sources, but I don't know where to get the snapshots from.
But if the KAME ISO image is like a 1.5 box, I suppose the stuff in /arch
on ftp.netbsd.org would be newer, and (hence) better ?

> That's a snapshot of NetBSD-release-1-5, not NetBSD-current.  See:
>
> http://www.netbsd.org/Releases/release-map.html
>
> for more on the terminology being used and graphs on how the release
> branches work.

Thanks, you'r an angel.  That's something that I have been looking for ...
to clear up all these terminologies. :)

Thanks a lot once more.

Regards,
Rakhesh