Subject: Re: getlogin() anomaly
To: Rex McMaster <rmcm@compsoft.com.au>
From: Alex van Denzel <bitbucket@adenzel.demon.nl>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/24/2001 23:22:45
rmcm@compsoft.com.au wrote:

> A strange feature (?) has developed on our home server over the past
> few weeks.  Various utilies - eg logname, w, talk - are sometimes
> returning incorrect user names. This appears to have started since
> installation of KDE and use of kdm (though not completely certain of
> this). The system is i386 -1.4.1 and 1.5 (the anomaly persisted over
> an upgrade). The setup is that the server provides XDM services (kdm)
> to a number of diskless clients.
>
>  A debug trace of w and logname, shows that getlogin() is returning
> the incorrect name. pstree (from the pkg collection) displays what
> appears to be a correct ownership hierarchy.
>
> I am stumped - any suggestions ?
>
> Thanks,
> Rex

Are you by any chance booting a file that is not called "/netbsd"?

Most apps that do lookups in the kernel namespace look into the file
"/netbsd". I happened to find out that "feature" when I installed a
selfbuilt kernel and booted it manually with "boot
wd0a:netbsd.SELFBUILT". See for instance the -N option in ps(1)

I'm absolutely not sure if it is a side effect of using 1.4.1 binaries
with a 1.5 kernel (or the other way around). I didn't do such a thing
(yet).

Greetings
--
Alex