Subject: Re: Thoughts on more helpful upgrading
To: Paul Hoffman <phoffman@proper.com>
From: Brian de Alwis <bsd@cs.ubc.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/17/2001 10:42:50
Regarding /etc, here's my method that I've recently started.
After *completing* an upgrade, I touch a file (say /.lastinstall);
thus I know any files newer than that have been done as customizations.
After performing a new upgrade, I run

    find /etc.old -newer /.lastinstall -print > /tmp/newfiles
    touch /.lastinstall

and then hand-copy the relevant files over.  Note the *copy* to cause
the copied files to have new time-stamps, so they can be identified
for the next upgrade.  Worked well for my upgrade from 1.5_ALPHA2 to 1.5.

--
"Maybe this world is another planet's Hell." - Aldous Huxley