Subject: Re: cd burning
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: Nathan J. Williams <nathanw@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/13/2001 23:29:20
"Aaron J. Grier" <agrier@poofygoof.com> writes:

> BUGS
>      If the disk partition is not specified in the disk name (i.e.
>      ``xy0'' instead of ``/dev/rxy0c''), disklabel will construct the
>      full pathname of the disk and use the ``a'' partition on the tahoe,
>      the ``d'' partition on i386 or hpcmips or arc, and the ``c''
>      partition on all others.
>
> why are tahoe, i386, hpcmips, and arc different?  (and what the heck is
> a tahoe?  or is the man page referring to BSD 4.4 tahoe?)

i386, hpcmips, and arc were the ports which, at the time of that
writing, use the PC-world MBR partitioning, and hence have RAW_PART as
"d" rather than "c", because of the discrepancy beteween the "entire
disk" partition and the "my MBR slice" partition. See each port's
include/disklabel.h file for the RAW_PART definition.

At this point, bebox, cobalt, hpcmips, and possibly sh3 should be
added to that list, and sgimips is doing something else entirely (the
"k" partition?).

Apparantly the Tahoe had 0 for the RAW_PART equivalent, but I doubt
that bit of history needs to live on in our disklabel man page.

        - Nathan