Subject: Re: UDF Filesystem Support?
To: Bill Dorsey <dorsey@lila.com>
From: David Maxwell <david@vex.net>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/11/2001 11:36:02
On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 12:38:56PM -0800, Bill Dorsey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Is anyone working on, or are there any plans to provide support for the UDF
> filesystem in the near future?
>
> The UDF filesystem is being billed as a replacement for the old ISO9660
> filesystem and is currently supported by recent versions of Windoze.  From
> what I understand, it's the filesystem used on DVDs and there is also
> support for using it on CD-R and CD-RWs.  Advantages over ISO9660 include
> the ability to copy files directly to a {DVD,CD-R,CD-RW} rather than laying
> out a filesystem first with mastering software and then burning the disk.

There are two parts to UDF - mounting a filesystem to read DVDs, that's
already handled by NetBSD's cd9660 filesystem type. UDF for burning as-you-go
CDs would require a different set of code to be implemented.

I was looking at the various Linux projects last week - none of them are
considered production code yet. On the good side, full documentation for
UDF is available.

http://www.ecma.ch/stand/standard.htm
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/docs/e167-r2.pdf
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/docs/e167-r3.pdf
http://www.osta.org/html/ostatech.html#udf
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/docs/udf102.pdf
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/docs/udf150.pdf
http://www.trylinux.com/projects/udf/docs/udf200.pdf
http://www.symbios.com/x3t10/scsi-3.htm
ftp://ftp.symbios.com/pub/standards/io/t10/drafts/mmc2/mmc2r09e.pdf

--
David Maxwell, david@vex.net|david@maxwell.net --> Although some of you out
there might find a microwave oven controlled by a Unix system an attractive