Subject: Re: bandwidth shaping
To: Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.from.pl>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@slk.com>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/10/2001 08:27:12
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > I am in need of a way to _introduce_ delays in a network.  Basically, we
> > have to test a few different protocols and how they react to added
> > latencies at high bandwidth.
> move to poland and connect to our national telecom (TPSA).
> you will get a lot of delays, packet loss, routing loops and many many
> other things for free!!!

How lucky you are ;-)  To imagine that I once complained about telecoms
here...

Basically, I'm trying to prove to some network people here that both
bandwidth and latency affect throughput on TCP conversations.  For some
reason, they aren't admitting to this.  So, to prove it, I was hoping to
build in a configurable delay somehow...

I'm gonna try to take a look at this ALTQ functionality, but that seems to
be more QoS related; but, then again, I haven't looked in depth at it yet.

Thanks for the Wed. morning humor.

-Jon
 "Trout are freshwater fish, and have underwater weapons."
 "Zing, zing zing zing!"
 "Keep away from the trout."
 -- The opinions expressed are not necesarily those of my employer --
 "Who stole my lawn?"