Subject: blocking bots
To: None <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Erik Huizing <huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca>
List: netbsd-users
Date: 01/06/2001 17:08:43
I noticed yesterday that someone (www.webtop.com) is indexing my server. I
was wondering if there's any way to put a stop to this. I don't have any
sensitive information on my server, but its more of an annoyance that this
is happeneing (all they're really getting is a copy of my apache
documentation).

I've tried blocking them in my ipf.conf:
block in quick on ep0 from 212.11.41.1/24 to any
(this is the first rule in the file)
I've also tried specifically blocking port 80, and tcp protocol, and the
full /32 address, all to no avail.

but this rule doesn't seem to have any effect (I restarted ipf like so:
ipf -Fa -f /etc/ipf.conf)
ipfstat -hi shows that the rule is never used, however.

I'm at a loss here as to what's going on, and why my filter isn't working
(I've tried the same filter with another IP, and it works fine).

Any insight on my predicament would be really reccomended.
(My system's 1.4.2/i386)

Thanks.

The first rule of Fight Club is You Do Not Talk About Fight Club.

// Erik Huizing   huizing@cpsc.ucalgary.ca
// www.cpsc.ucalgary.ca/~huizing